European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL), known as ICDL outside Europe, is the global standard in end-user computer skills, offering Candidates an internationally recognised certification that is supported by governments, computer societies, international organisations and commercial corporations globally.
ECDL Standard is a test of practical skills and competencies and consists of seven separate modules covering computer theory and practice. To achieve the ECDL Standard certificate, the Candidate must successfully pass a test in seven modules.
ECDL Standard consists of two categories of modules:
- Base modules are the building blocks for digital literacy, describing essential skills and knowledge.
- Intermediate modules allow individuals to build their digital competence, depending on their needs.
|BASE Modules||INTERMEDIATE Modules|
|Online Essentials||Using Databases|
The ECDL Standard Certificate is awarded to candidates who successfully complete all four (4) Base modules and any three (3) Intermediate modules.
4 BASE Modules + 3 INTERMEDIATE Modules = ECDL STANDARD CERTIFICATE
Syllabi & Sample Tests
Click the relevant modules (above table) to access the syllabi and sample of tests.
- All ECDL tests (except for 2D CAD) are undertaken on automated testing software at an accredited ECDL Test Centre. Candidates undertake a test on a computer, which then automatically assesses the candidates' performance, and provides immediate pass/fail feedback to both the centre and the candidates. Information about 2D CAD is available here.
- When candidates purchase certification tests from a Test Centre they will be provided with official ECDL Foundation courseware for the relevant module test/s purchased. There shall be no charge for this courseware. An appropriate fee may however be charged by the Test Centre to recover the costs associated with the provision of printed or electronic versions of the courseware.
- The duration of each test (except for 2D CAD) is 45 minutes. No books or other help may be used during the tests.
- The pass mark for each module is set to be 75%.
- The four (4) Base module tests and three (3) Intermediate module tests may be taken in any sequence and at any time in any accredited ECDL Test Centre. Candidates can transfer to other Test Centres to do the tests. There are no fees associated with the transfer of candidates between Test Centres.
- Candidates can sit for ECDL tests at their own pace without time constraints.
- Candidates failing ECDL tests are allowed to retake different test versions of the same module at ANY ECDL accredited Test Centre. Candidates are encouraged to liaise with the Test Centre to sit for diagnostic (mock) tests before taking tests.
- Candidates who are not satisfied with the assessment process of their ECDL test are encouraged to discuss their concerns with the Test Centre. If they are not satisfied with the outcome of these discussions, they are encouraged to send an email/letter to ECDL Malta explaining their concerns.
The ECDL Standard Certificate is awarded to candidates who successfully complete all four (4) Base modules and any three (3) Intermediate modules. The ECDL Standard certificate awarded is referenced to Level Three of the Malta Qualifications Framework...more information.
The ECDL certificate will NOT be issued immediately by the Test Centre. ECDL Malta will issue the certificate and pass this on to the Test Centre where the last test was held. Candidates will collect the certificate from the Test Centre where they had sat for their last test. The fee involved in issuing the first ECDL certificate is incorporated in the cost of the ECDL Registration Number.
Candidates have the option of requesting the ECDL Base certificate after having successfully completed the four (4) Base module tests. The ECDL Base certificate awarded is referenced to Level Two of the Malta Qualifications Framework...more information. Candidates will still have the option of obtaining the ECDL Standard certificate when they successfully complete any three (3) intermediate module tests. However, the second certificate will be issued against an additional charge as indicated by the Test Centre.
Last updated: 21-Jul-18